This story was originally published here.
Given the economic devastation resulting from the novel coronavirus, red has become a common color in the investment markets. But for beleaguered energy firm Chesapeake Energy (NYSE:CHK), it may be a permanent one. In short, this is an organization that has completely lost control of its trajectory. Therefore, barring a miracle, CHK stock will probably deteriorate into nothing.
Early last week, Chesapeake executed a 200-for-1 reverse stock split. Frankly, all this did was to temporarily shock those who haven’t been paying attention to CHK stock daily. Also, management bought some time to prevent shares from getting delisted from the New York Stock Exchange. Clearly, though, these are the actions of a desperate company fighting for its life.
I don’t blame the leadership team for getting the reverse stock split done. I’d do the same because honestly, that’s the only move available. I liken the situation to a football game where the opposing coach burns through their timeouts in the off chance that something, anything, could happen.
Again, barring some divine intervention, CHK stock is done. Combined with previously bad decisions and painful concessions to stay alive, Chesapeake is walking a tight rope. Further, that rope is shortening as the company risks breaching its debt covenants.
Unfortunately, the only hope here is to see a recovery in oil prices. But as I’ve stated many times, the issue isn’t about supply. OPEC and its cronies could cut production to zero. Without demand, even the big boys like Exxon Mobil (NYSE:XOM) and Chevron (NYSE:CVX) will suffer volatility.
An embattled outfit like Chesapeake? Unless you just want to burn your stimulus check, I’d stay far away from CHK stock.
Editor's Note: Click here to see why.
65 Unique Ways ANYONE Can Make Extra Cash (Without Getting a Second Job)
Are you looking for great sources of real income, without having to get a second job?
Then keep reading, because author Neil George wants to send you his new book that profiles 65 simple ways to earn large amounts of work-free income.
…extra cash that you can collect ON TOP of your Social Security check…
…without messing around with crappy jobs. (Pizza delivery driver? No way.)
These are PROVEN cash-gushing strategies… the kind typically used by the wealthy elite.
And the best part…
Neil George has set aside copies of his book, Income for Life, and he’s willing to send you a hardback version today, ABSOLUTELY FREE (just pay shipping).
Here's just a sample of what you can find inside:
- Learn the secret of the $50,000 lump sum Social Security check. Seriously, it couldn’t be easier!
- Use what Neil calls the “F.H.A. Loophole” to get the government to pay your mortgage – PLUS receive hundreds in extra cash on top.(Page 217)
- Collect $100s for pictures in Old Family Photo Albums! Believe it or not, there is an easy way to turn your old artwork/photographs into $100 bills (certain businesses are desperate). (Page 297)
- Get paid every time your favorite song gets played on the radio! This little-known website allows you to tap into royalty payments every time your favorite song is played on the radio. Some lucky folks collect thousands of dollars a year! (Page 307)
- Pocket upwards of $197 PER HOUR simply by taking a walk through the woods in the fall… or $137 while visiting your favorite beach in the summer… and many, many more!
Needless to say, this book has become highly sought after.
So if you don't claim your free copy of Income for Life today, we'll send it to the person behind you in line…